Wednesday 17 June 2015

Relieving cramp in my feet.....

So in my previous post I talked about some of the 'gains' I have already experienced from the work I have been doing on my body thus far to improve my posture, breathing and movement. The biggest and most significant gain for me so far has been curing a life long and fairly common cramp in my toes when extending my feet and pointing my toes, along with the benefits that come with this relieve, as previously stated.

I can remember being as young as 10-11 years old, swimming in the school pool and suffering with this cramp in my feet. I have always just kind of lived with it, as many of us do just live with these sort of mild complaints and dysfunctions around our bodies. It didn't really cause me any major pain or discomfort, I could always relieve it by stretching my feet/toes back against the cramp (in this case, flexing my feet/toes) and as long as I didn't point my toes again too much, it would be fine. I would be causing a shit load of drag in the water though.....but I really didn't appreciate that back then!

That's not to say I haven't tried to intentionally prevent/cure/relieve this cramp before. I have googled the matter several times and it's always the same ideas being presented, dehydration, sodium and potassium deficiencies for example. Muscle fatigue/tiredness. And I tried all this, drinking more, taking on electrolyte drinks, eating more bananas etc.................Did nothing for my cramp!

Never once in all my googling did I find........ 'you may have cramp in your feet because of restrictions in your Superficial Front Line'. (One of my next blog posts will explore our Superficial Front Line in a bit more detail.)

As it turns out, that is what I had (and still have!). I am still nowhere close to being 'fixed' and free from restrictions in my body yet, I am just becoming increasingly aware of these restrictions. But I am making some real progress and amazing discoveries, relieving this life long cramp being the most amazing discovery so far. I never set out to relive my foot cramp, but it was gone within 5 days of starting my programme.

So, how did I actually relieve this cramp? Actually, it was very easy. I just released my TFL!

The Tensor Fascia Latae (TFL)




As you can see above, the TFL is a small muscle that originates in the pelvis and, along with other muscles attaching to the pelvis, is primarily responsible for hip flexion, bending our knees. The connective tissue for this muscle runs down through our IT band (connective tissue down the side of our legs), increasing tension in this band to help stabilise the knee, and attaches at the outer portions of the tibia, just below the knee. Again, see above.

Just as a side note....this muscle is chronically overactive when we are sitting down for extended periods! See, my previous post on The Problems with Sitting.

So anyway, there is a self myofascial release technique you can apply to the TFL to help reduce tension and tightness in the body. In the feet as it turns out. I introduced the concept of self myofascial release in my first vlog last week, if you wonder what I am talking about, please look it up. Either watch my video or just do some googling.

But this TFL release is what relieved my cramp...just that! Nothing else!! Amazing, don't you think?

Now I had planned to do my own instructional video on how to release your TFL......but, I am a bit pushed for time this week and there are plenty of other people who have done a really great job of demonstrating and explaining this release already, so I'm just going to hook you up with a YouTube link........

As you will note, the title of the video suggests this as a relieve for lower back pain and I would have to agree with that as well. As well as relieving the cramp, it has also reduced tension in my back, virtually eliminating any discomfort/pain.


Whoever you are....however you life your life and whatever you do, I seriously recommend you try this release. Purely because I do not have the writing skill or vocabulary to properly describe the experience for myself. All I can say is, WOOWWW!!! (that a very big WOW, by they way. Like I said, I just don't have the vocabulary or adjectives to properly describe it and do it justice) The first time I lay my TFL down on a lacrosse ball (maybe start with a tennis ball) and relaxed into it, the sensations travelling through my entire body just lit me up. Strong electrical impulses traveled from my toes to my head, I could feel the whole TFL and connective tissue just light up in my body, the entire 'Superficial Front Line'. It was literally that....a total light bulb moment! Not just physically, but emotionally!! Seriously powerful stuff.

If you do try this out, I would be really interested to hear about your experiences. I just found it such an amazing way of connecting with my body....and mind! I know that I cannot be unique in that regard.

#ThePowerofPoster
#ThePowerofSMFR
#TFLrelease





No comments:

Post a Comment