Thursday 30 July 2015

An update on my progress so far......

It was the 1st May this year that I started on this journey into intentionally improving my posture, so that is nearly 3 months ago now and it seems like a good time for an update on my progress. In that short time, I think the change in myself has been pretty remarkable. I am fast approaching my 40's, I will be 37 this year. But do you know what?....I feel better than I did when in my early 20's! By better, I just mean, fitter and healthier with more energy. Just better all round really.

The most noticeable, unintentional and yet measurable difference for me so far has actually been in my swimming. Yet my goal was never to improve my swimming performance, I have not been 'training' with faster swimming in mind (unlike previous training attempts). I just swim because I enjoy it, yet I feel so much more natural and am much faster in the water than ever before because I am finding more length, rotation and balance in my body. This brings more efficiency and speed from holding a more streamlined position in the water.

demonstrating length and rotation in the water.....

Relieving the cramp in my feet very early on in this process was a huge boost for my swimming, but the gains have continued since then with breathing improvements by enabling greater rib cage expansion and increased thoracic rotation from the postural improvements/correction I have been applying. Breathing and rotation are key factors in swimming........not just in swimming of course, but in life! Both of these key factors are very often overlooked when 'training'. I personally think this could be a big miss if seeking performance improvements in your chosen sport, or more importantly, for life in general.

Other significant and measurable changes are my weight loss. Again, this was never a goal. But by focusing on my posture I am somehow just more motivated to take better care of myself in general. I am not dieting because 'diets' are just not sustainable, but I am just trying to eat real, home made food and cut back on my sugar intake, especially chocolate as I am a total chocoholic. I also keep myself well hydrated and drink lots of water, much more than I ever have before and I always have a glass or bottle to hand. And it is really working as I weigh under 16 stone for the first time since I was about 18 year old. Not that I really care about my weight per say, it is just a measurable and an interesting observation.

I did not take any measurements of my body before I started this process and I am regretting that now to be honest. I especially wish I had measured my height. I am sure I would be slightly taller now through opening up and lengthening my body. From a clothes point of view, I have gone from 38" waist trousers to needing a new hole in my belt to keep up the 36" trousers that I have. Probably 35" would be a good fit about now (if they existed), I've not tried 34" trousers yet. I must have been about 18 the last time I wore 34" trousers. But I'm just using my belt for now though.

One of my only intentional goals and motivations was, and still is, to relieve my bodily aches, pains and grumbles. I am pleased to say that this intentional aspect of the programme is going pretty well too. Lower back pain is gone! 100%.....just gone! Like with my cramp, this was actually quite quick to relieve. My shoulders feel so much better now too with much more range of motion and they don't clunk and grind any more on rotation. I am still tight in my neck and upper back, but improvements are coming here with the help of the KMI work I am having done and my continued postural reprogramming regime. But it is going to take some time to unravel the 20 odd years of dysfunction I have been building on while sitting with my head slumped over my desk.

Improved movement was also another intentional goal and I can certainly move my body better than I can ever remember. Touching my toes is no problem at all now and I have much more freedom of movement in general, shoulder and hip mobility for example, yet increased spinal stability. My balance is also hugely improved because of this.

Throughout all this process of re-training and re-conditioning my body for better posture, there has not been any muscle stiffness or soreness. No D.O.M.S. (delayed onset muscle soreness) caused from over working muscles. Tell a lie, I did strain my wrist practising yoga the other month (a wake up call for me to the dangers of yoga if you overdo it and push too hard) and I also strained my hamstring pushing it a bit hard on my bike the other week. But with an increased bodily awareness and some basic knowledge, I was able to quickly relieve the problems myself with some self myofascial release and specific stretching using the techniques I have been learning about regarding  myofasscia, trigger points and referred pain patterns.

Emotionally, the power of posture continues to be....well.....powerful! This was the biggest unexpected side effect. I just feel good in myself with a really good energy and motivation. I certainly sleep very well and wake up feeling fresh in the morning. Getting out of bed without any bodily groans and grumbles really helps set you up for the day I think! I am still boring everyone with my blog, not that anyone is forced to read it of course. But for the few that do, I hope you are enjoying following along. Thanks for reading!

#ThePowerofPosture


No comments:

Post a Comment