Tuesday 7 July 2015

Introducing......Functional Patterns.....


I have been working hard for the last couple of months now, with the primary intention and focus of addressing my postural imbalances and dysfunctions. But since starting my blog, I have not yet really given any credit to my main source of inspiration for the programme I am adopting, aside from the title of my blog and a small mention in a previous post.

So I am dedicating this post to Functional Patterns and the man behind the system, Naudi Aguilar.........before I tell you more about this guy and his training system....... I want to show you him in action first.........




I think you will agree.....the way he moves is very impressive. He might make it look easy, but let me assure you, nothing he is doing in this clip is easy! The only way to perform and move like this is to make sure your shit is integrated first. By 'shit'.....I of course mean your posture and alignment. You must be structurally integrated without fascial restriction and all muscles properly activating and operating on their primary functions. You don't want to be performing these kind of dynamic and ballistic movement patterns with any sort of muscular compensation going on in your body. If you don't address your structural imbalances first, it will not be very long before you pick up an injury trying this sort of movement. You have to regress to progress!!

But that is where Naudi stands out. He does not just post up nice looking, professionally filmed and edited videos of himself (as above), busting these advanced movement and metabolic training patterns......no! That would be very self centred and egotistical and that is just not what he or Functional Patterns is about. Far from it! They are simply about making people function better, in life, as humans! You won't find any horrendous  'gym selfies' taken in the FP gym! But what you will find, if you check out his YouTube channel, there is loads and loads and loads of free material and great content on how you can 'integrate your shit'!





Functional Patterns - YouTube Channel

Functional Patterns - website

Functional Patterns - Facebook

Functional Patterns - Instagram

Beyond all the amazing free stuff he posts up, he also has a series of videos 'Human Foundations' and 'Training for Humans' for purchase on his website.....and most recently, a book he has published called 'The Power of Posture'. Sounds familiar......? #ThePowerofPosture

It is this book 'The Power of Posture' and his 'Training for Humans' system that I am adopting into my training.......into my life! With amazing results!!! By far the most amazing results I have ever gained compared to any other sort of training modality or systems I have adopted in the past. And I haven't touched any kind of weights or piece resistance equipment ....not yet at least anyway. My focus has been standing and breathing. A bit boring maybe, but is there anything more 'functional' in life than that?? Releasing fascial restrictions is actually step #1, but that then facilitates better standing and breathing. When was the last time you did some specific training to improve your breathing mechanics?? And I don't just mean just having a high intensity workout.

I have been following Naudi with a lot interest for the last couple of years now. At first....I didn't really get the message he was delivering. I listened, but I didn't really hear it, or perhaps I did, but I didn't really understand it. I just thought he had some pretty cool kettle bell workouts! Which he does(and so much more)....but.....you can't just jump right into them.......and that is what I now understand!

He uses a lot of anatomical terminology and this can be quite overwhelming to begin with. But once you start to understand him (if you don't get it, look it up)..........he makes an awful lot of sense!! If you are into crossfit or traditional strength/weight training, olympic lifting etc, then you are going to find his message quite hard to swallow. You probably won't even listen to him, let alone hear him. You may well just think he is full of shit and ignore him....but that would be your loss! If like me, it will probably take you a while before you actually hear what he is saying and take that Olympic bar off of your back!! For good!!!!

Having been working on my fascial restrictions, posture and breathing for a couple of months myself now....the time for progression is coming....very soon in fact!....and I can't tell you how excited I am to take it to the next level, but of course, never forgetting about the ever so important foundations I have been building upon.....and will continue to build on.

I talked in a previous post about Structural Integration or SI (more specifically KMI). Well, Functional Patterns is a new and slightly different form of SI. It encompasses all integration aspects through self myofasical release and corrective exercise, but then takes it to the next level so that once your shit is integrated, you can implement some movement patterns into your training that will help you to keep functioning well as a human being and seriously limiting your risk of injury, whatever you choose to do! That is my goal now.......I don't want to loose weight, I don't want a six pack, I don't want big shoulders and arms, I certainly don't give a shit how much I can bench or squat......I just want to function well as a human being in normal life.......for the rest of my life. How ever long that may be!

If I am blessed enough to live as long as my Grandma, who will be 90 this year, then I want to be able to wipe my own backside and get up out of my own seat without the need for aids and assistance. That is what Functional Patterns can do for you. I really believe that it is that powerful. Slight correction.......I think well maintained and healthy myofascia, good posture and bio mechanics is that powerful, but this system pays total respect to all of those fundamental elements!

This is how powerful it can be...............

#ShowMeDon'tTellMe









INSTAGRAM: WWW.INSTAGRAM.COM/FUNCTIONALPATTERNS Working with Arizona Diamondbacks prospect Danny Moskovits, addressing more biomechnical deficiencies at their foundation. We had gotten in some work last week and for the first time in a while he had thrown over 60 pitches for his training. He noticed no pain in his shoulders or tightness in his hips throwing hard for as long as he did, which was a big gain in relation to what his prior issues were, but I noticed a ridiculous scapular/pelvis/ribcage/cervical asymmetry and rotation. As a result, his body felt ok but somewhat stiff and restricted. Ran some FP structural integration exercises(with very little MFR) and he walked out the door a new man! I can't say enough about this kid and I'm really looking forward to watching him grow inside these doors. Great work Danny!!! For more info, visit: www.functionalpatterns.com #functionalpatterns #functionaltraining #trainingforhumans #athletesarehumanstoo #trainingtilim100 #doyouevenrotatebro #douevenFPBRO #sandiego #seattle #fitness #fascia
A photo posted by Functional Patterns (@functionalpatterns) on



Progressing to bad ass moves like this.......dynamic, multi plane, rotational and ballistic training patterns. Nothing static or isolated! This is.........Functional Patterns!!!!.........


#RotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotationRotation.....

#ThePowerofPosture
#FunctionalPatterns
#StructuralIntegration

#TrainIntentionallyNotHabitually






No comments:

Post a Comment